Monday, January 24, 2011

He's Twenty One!

My son turned twenty one this week and naturally I'm writing about it. He chose a large cookie here instead of a cake. Gotta have those puffed out cheek shots, right?

Twenty one years ago the doctors said he wouldn't live a year. They said he'd never walk, never talk and never even know my name. "Take him home and love him," they said. I refused to believe them.

Ryan bears wounds from his struggle to live. It's just the way it is. At least he lives. Not only does he live, he has a full life with his job, his activities and his hobbies. Each year I send a Christmas card to the large metro hospital NICU with a picture or two of Ryan. I want them to know that what they did made a difference. This young man lived longer than a year. He walks, he talks, he knows my name. I love him and he loves me. This last twenty one years, while not easy, have been the best of my life because of the grace he has brought to it.

Even if he wouldn't have walked, talked or known me ... I still would have loved him as ferociously as I do now and even if he wouldn't have been able to say it, he would have loved me too ... even if he didn't know my name he would've known me as a feeling in his heart.

God bless all those babies and parents hearing sad news today. May they live in the special light that is grace.

Happy Birthday Ryan! I love you! Mom
Much love and joy to everyone,
Karen

Want to read about Ryan's birth? Get Children of Light at www.casparapublishing.com

Want to read about how a life lesson went horribly awry? Check out Karen's column Life on the Exceptional Side in Family Times in stores February 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment