Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Flip Sides of the Same Coin

Hi everyone,

I was all set to post a snowy pic, then I decided that we needed to broaden our scope to include something ... more.

This photo was taken when whale watching out of Bellingham WA, we were visiting my brother out in the area. Love Bellingham but Mt. Baker freaks me out a little. I've watched too many Nat Geo programs I guess.

Besides when you have a child with disabilities it seems like everything you took for granted in your "Once Upon a Time..." life is a little less "Happily Ever After." Catastrophes can, and do, happen. We all know in our minds that bad things happen but in our hearts, for the first time, we realize that they don't just happen to other people. Bad things can happen to us, to our kids. Strangely enough, it seems that we experience bigger joy than we've ever felt before.

A friend of mine recently came back from Africa and was struck by the positive attitude and happiness that was shown by people living in abject poverty. I've come to the conclusion that joy and despair are flip sides of the same coin. You can't have one without the other. You can only know true joy if you have experienced pure despair. One thing I've learned is that joy is in the little things. The first time my son buttered a slice of bread. The first time he tied his shoes ... things his doctors once said he'd never do.

Today I thank God for this amazing child. I thank him for sending me a life peppered with moments of crystalline joy.

God bless,
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment