Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Halloween Hate


Hi there,

Sorry my posts have been sporadic but work is insane.

Ryan is getting ready for Halloween and the big Best Buddy/Council for Exceptional Children Dance. He and his Best Buddy, Sam, go every year. Two years ago they went as the Banana Republic. It was unintentional, I assure you. Sam had spent a semester in Costa Rica and came back with his ensemble.

Ryan decided to be a banana without knowing that so when they met at the dance, they meshed perfectly. Too funny.

So ... With that in mind, last year they went as Ketchup and Mustard.

Aren't they a stitch? They have such a good time.

I bought Halloween Candy today at Sam's Club. I made the mistake of opening one bag ... yikes. I hope I can stay out of it. LOL. Like that'll happen.

I remember going through Halloween Hate. It broke my heart that everyone had someone to trick or treat with and Ryan had only me. Some years we went with other people, but most years he went alone with me. He still loved going but it shredded me. All those little hurts that parents of children without disabilities rarely know.

Now that Ryan is older and a part of Best Buddies, there is a dance every year. It's well attended and a great place for young men with disabilities because it's loaded with girls, girls, girls. Plenty to dance with, talk to and hang out with.

Halloween is now fun for both of us. Good luck this Halloween and remember that I know just what you're feeling. I pray that you can find something for you to do together, be it trick or treating at the mall, downtown or in your neighborhood.

God bless and see you soon,
Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment