Monday, October 25, 2010

Thank Goodness for our Families

Good morning ...

How are you? This silly pic was taken of Ryan acting goofy, sitting next to his best friend, his grandmother. Which brings me to our topic for the day, family.

What would we do without them? Be it a spouse, other children who help, or our parents who care for our twenty year olds for us so we can work or get a few things done, the bottom line is the same ... it's crucial for our overall health.

I love spending time with Ryan, that's never an issue. I do, however, have things that I need to do that he can't be a part of. You can count on family to help out when you need medical attention, have a meeting after work, or have an emergency you need to deal with.  Ryan's grandmother is especially helpful.

Ryan loves spending time with her and they are constantly cooking up some new recipe together. She watches cartoon videos of dinosaurs, reads him Charles Dickens (he loves, I don't) and looks up items on the Internet with him.

Most people who are caregivers have a small network of people who can care for their child. In fact, that circle of people can be very small. I love when my mother or brother help out because I know they appreciate Ryan for who he is, not what he can or cannot do. I feel secure when I leave Ryan with either one, knowing that he will be cared for and included, not ignored.

As we move through the day today let's give thanks for those who help us raise our children with special needs, even if it's Walt Disney!

God bless all of you,
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment