Monday, November 1, 2010

You Matter!

Hi everyone,

How are you all doing?

I went to a conference on transition last week but I've already transitioned Ryan so a lot of it I knew. Actually, I didn't learn a thing, which was a bummer. Usually I can bring home something. However, Ryan wanted to go so I registered us. Keep in mind we went through all of this about three years ago.

Then at the last minute Ryan didn't feel well so I went alone to collect materials for him. I did collect some nice brochures and it was wonderful talking to parents and other professionals. I just kind of spent the morning networking. Then I didn't return in the afternoon, Ryan needed me.

I always feel so clueless and yet, when I go to these things, I am amazing at how much information I've gathered over the years. I ran into a couple of parents that were newbies and I hope I helped. Maybe that was God's plan for me being there. It was about someone else.

I'm always surprised by that too. We tend to think everything is about us and ours because we have to advocate so often. When we realize it isn't, that others are in a place we've already been ... that maybe we can help ... it;s even a little shocking. We do contribute. We are of value. What we do matters.

When you wake up and feel like you can't fight one more battle remember that. What we do ... matters. It matters to our children, it matters to other children with disabilities, it matters to some parent who is coming through the same crap after us. It matters.

So get up, take a deep breath, pick up your imaginary light saber and head out as the warrior you are. You are Wonder Woman. You are Xena Warrior Princess, you are a mom of a kid with disabilities. You rock!

Have a wonderful day. Be strong and fierce. I love you.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment