Monday, February 14, 2011

The Cost of Helping

What makes us laugh at someone elses pain or misfortune? Why is it that we, as humans, think that it's okay to do that? I've seen people laugh hysterically, or at minimum say something along the lines of  "I think that's funny" when something bad happens to someone.

For example, I worked for fifteen years at a job I hated. The people there were "pretend" Christians. In order words they said they were Christians, but their actions spoke louder; they were not. During that time Ryan and I had a series of crises. Each day I went to work my supervisor laughed at them. So did the other supervisors. For them, my struggling was a sit-com for them to chat about over the water cooler. The sheer volume of challenges that I was presented with at that time was unbelievable. They couldn't find generosity in their hearts so they laughed. And it hurt.

What makes it okay to do this to someone? Is it part of a sick twisted human nature that we take out our inadequacies on those who are less fortunate? I've seen the same skewed laughter with our kids who have special needs and it makes me sick to my stomach. I've seen kids talk about how someone in a wheelchair has changed their life, then turn around and make the kid with Down Syndrome feel like they're scum. So how did the person in the wheelchair change their lives? He didn't. He just elicited a politically correct response in the kid, or adult for that matter. At what point do you really make a difference, really engage and give of your heart? Anytime you do that it WILL cost you something. It's the way it works.

The next time you see someone who is struggling, help them. If you see a single parent having a hard time ... help them. If you see someone who is challenged ... help them! Help them until you feel that it cost you something.

God bless you today and every day.
Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment