Thursday, September 9, 2010

Meditation is good for our children with special needs



Good morning everyone,

Ryan and I walked the Phoenix Park labyrinth yesterday. I'm teaching him meditation and labyrinth walking is one way of doing that.

First we picked a mantra, Ryan chose, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I Shall Not Want" and started walking. I walked in front of him or he got confused visually with the lines.


It went well for the first time I think. We didn't get into the reasons get. I just asked him how he felt when he was done. I loved that he wanted to totally feel the brick and center himself (literally) when he was done walking.

I asked if he wanted to meditate again and he did. This is phase one. Learning to meditate with the help of a task. We'll move on and generalize from there.

I think it's important to teach coping skills to our children with disabilities and meditation has physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual benefits. Even a repetitive sound, rather than a phrase, can be helpful.

The park is beautiful right now. We ran into a man who claimed to be an Indian Shaman and had an interesting conversation with him regarding mother earth. I  love diversity. What a wonderful patchwork this world is.

Have a wonderful day,
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment