Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Verbal Processing of Physical/Kinesthetic Actions


Good morning everyone,

This is a picture of Ryan, delighted that he could stand on this rock. He couldn't make the step up without support but when I instructed him that the step up from the back  was a much smaller rise he was able to get where he needed to be and was so happy with himself.

We forget how some of those easy things we do can become so difficult for someone with disabilities. We take those blessings for granted. I recently had a reminder with my hip replacement surgery but my disability was temporary, his is permanent.

It was such a blessing when someone would anticipate what I needed without going overboard, or make a simple comment or suggestion that changed my perspective. Someone holding a door when I was on crutches was a big deal. Someone not parking too close to the handicapped spot so I could get out with all my gear, another biggie. Someone leaning down, unasked, to retrieve something I'd dropped. All those things helped make life easier.

With Ryan, I've learned to self talk and verbally process what I'm doing. I've always liked to verbally process my emotions and ideas, now I've generalized that skill into my physical/kinesthetic awareness to assist Ryan.

When we climbed onto the rocks, I had one crutch. Ryan sat on the rock and I said, "Let's stand on them." He looked at me, uncertainty furrowing his brow. I looked at the stone, "This too high for me to step up, I wonder if I can get onto it from a different side. At a glance I could see the back was lower but I wandered to the side, examined it, then walked to the back. "Hey, this is littler. Maybe yours is too." He watched me get onto the stone and journeyed around his chosen rock. He stepped up and gave me a brilliant smile. I snapped his photo.

By verbally processing my actions, and suggesting that his situation might be the same, he was able to accomplish what he wanted to do with minimal help from me.

As you move through your day today, try to verbally process what you're doing to your child with special needs. I'm not talking about our normal dialog, but a carefully thought out way of doing something.

Good luck and see you tomorrow. I have to get busy writing my column for Family Times. Don't forget to pick up a copy. They're available the first part of October.
Happy Fall!
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment