Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Olfactory Memories

Good morning everyone,

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday, life happens, you know? I usually blog the minute I get up, lately that's been derailed a little.

The Canadian geese are on the move today. I love listening to them. I've always kind of felt that they are MY bird. Funny how we do that. Probably some memory from my childhood that I only recognize in their call.

Ryan used to make olfactory memories when he was younger. I'd see him race up to a family member and inhale deeply. When he was old enough he'd ask for permission. We were in WalMart with my grandmother and she'd been fooling with him because he was riding in the cart and she was pushing it. They were having a grand time. He looked at me, still in diapers, mind you, and asked, "Can I smell her?" Rather, "Tan my 'mell her?" Great Grandma laughed and moved closer. He hugged her and inhaled deeply. They shared a moment afterwards as he looked into her eyes. It was such a blessed moment.

He smelled Grandpa, Grandma, me ... anyone he cared about. I remember when he was little. He was so sick. I'd been unable to get him to sleep. We'd been to the emergency room ... again ... and I was exhausted. I laid him in my bed. I often slept him with me, especially when he was sick. I was changing into my jammies. When I turned around Ryan was out like a light, my grubby, sweaty sports bra in his little fist, jammed up to his little nose. The next day he wouldn't be separated from it, even in my lap. I suppose, because I'd sweated in it, my smell was strong and it comforted him.

After that if he couldn't settle down I'd hand him a t-shirt or something I'd worn and he'd gradually drift off.

When Ryan was born and airlifted to Minneapolis Children's Medical Center the first thing I did when I finally got to hold him was to smell him. I couldn't get enough of his smell. I guess we're closer to animals than we think, especially when we're just trying to survive.

It goes back to sensory memories in general, but then, that's a topic for another blog.

Have a great day. Remember, I'm praying for you and your special someone.
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment