Saturday, September 11, 2010

Self Important Parents

Good morning,

How are all of you? I see I didn't get flamed after my tirade on Disney flicks in school yesterday, maybe someone out there agrees with me?

Have you ever run into those moms of kids with disabilities who think they (a) know it all (b) aren't going to tell you about it, and (c) have an attititude of superiority? Sometimes they have jobs in disabilities and have lost all their power as parents and advocates because they have to do what their boss tells them to do, without complaining. That's a hard line to walk, and I feel for them. Sometimes they're just know-it-alls. ;-)

Parents go into disability jobs thinking they'll make a difference, and many of them do make wonderful differences, but make no mistake about it, they are walking a line between being a parent and being a professional in the helping field with all the garbage that comes with that. It can't be easy.

Then we have those parents who think they are "entitled". I spoke for an adult services program a while back and there was a mother there who just about had kittens. It was a new program, she was there to get information for her child and it just ticked her off that she was getting information from me. She even said (sotto voz of course) "I would think with all my years and experience that I would have ...." A direct look from me stopped her but she spent the rest of the meeting trying to "put me in my place." Sheesh!

The thing is, our kids are close in age. How she thinks she could gain such expertise in everything and I would gain none is beyond me. It's hurtful and frustrating. I've worked on projects statewide, albeit quietly and with less "stage" presence in front of other parents. A lot of that is through my writing. There will always be those parents who are puffed up in self-importance.

This woman and a lot of the people in that room hadn't gone with this new program initially because they listened to a different parent, instead of making up their own minds.

Ladies and gentlemen, please do your own research! This program has been hard work because it's new but it has been AMAZING for Ryan. It has truly started integrating him into the community in a way I couldn't have foreseen.

YOU are your child's best advocate. YOU know what fits him or her. YOU are the expert on services that blend with your lifestyle. And you know what?   It's all about YOU and YOUR child with special needs.

Remember ... YOU are a ROAD CROSSING MOMMY DUCK (look in the blog archives for this post if you haven't read it). Blaze trails! Try things out, if they don't fit, discard them and move on!

 I pray that you find exactly what you need to give you confidence and contentment as an advocate for your child. God bless you. Have a wonderful weekend.
Much love and joy.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment