Friday, June 4, 2010

The Collecting Kid

Ryan is a collector. Big time. I don't know about your child with special needs but this one ... he LOVES getting entire sets of things. Happy Meal toys took over our house for a while.

Funny story. One Saturday morning, when he was little, Ryan was watching cartoons or should I say commercials. He didn't pay much attention to the show until a loud brassy ad came screaming onto the set. I looked over to see my son struggling to put his jacket on.

"What's up?" I asked. "What are you doing, big guy?"

"I ha' to go now," he answered.

"Go where?" I asked.

"'Donald's. I ha' to get my toy NOW," he glanced at me with fear in his eyes. I realized he was talking about the commercial he'd just seen.

"Oh, honey. They don't mean RIGHT now. They mean while supplies last ... you know before they run out and switch to a different toy." (Did I not know this kid at all??)

"Run OUT?!"

"Well," I backpedaled. "They have a lot of them. They're just telling you which one they have right now."

Needless to say, I didn't fair well in that discussion. I helped him with his coat and we headed for McDonald's to get his happy meal toy.

The Big Bird cupcake is part of a recent collection. Sesame Street character cupcakes from the local bakery. I finally convinced him to take photos and collect those so he'd eat the cupcakes. He knew he couldn't save food but he'd have let them sit there too long and they would've grown mold on the bottoms, etc.

What am I supposed to do with all these collections? We have snow globes -- dozens, we have those expensive display houses from Michael's -- a whole town of them with multiple seasons! Old action figures ... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anyone, and yes, Happy Meal toys ... What is a mom to do? It's easy to say, "get rid of them" but not easy to do. He's worked hard on his collections.

Open to all reasonable suggestions ....

Have a great weekend!
Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment