Saturday, June 12, 2010

Weight Management

Ryan is a part of the Best Buddy program at UWEC. This is his buddy, Sam. They won first place this year in the golf outing. I can't even imagine what wildness ensues there. I've talked about Best Buddies before but wanted to upload this photo. Ryan has lost almost 10 pounds since it was taken in May. He's working so hard at taking off some weight.

I'm trying along side him. It's hard when you're genetically prone to a larger size. I've always had to do TONS of exercise if I want to even maintain my weight at a decent level, to say nothing of lose weight. He's somewhat the same but he's also twenty years old and a guy. We all know how much easier it is to lose! For his sake, I hope the pounds just slide off.

We're using the Richard Simmons program. It comes with the little plastic book like think where you slide windows over pictures of food exchanges.






Adding calories involved math skills and was out of the question. We also purchased the Richard Simmons exercise DVDs. One is a Sweatin' with the Oldies type workout, the other is a work out you can do SITTING DOWN. Huge for people who use wheelchairs, in fact he has a number of people with disabilities in the video. I highly recommend the program so far. He also sends Richard Grams in the email, has an online support group etc. I read the emails to Ryan. We haven't been on the on line group for him yet but we entered his weight in a weight tracker which should be affirming and positive. Speaking of affirming and positive, I like the way Richard includes that on his tracker as well:




The above photo give a sample of what's on there for affirmations. Great, huh?  At any rate, a nod to Richard for making an eating plan that someone with disabilities can be included in. You can get all of this on line at his site.

How do you work with your child's weight issues if they have them?

Talk to you soon,
Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment