Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Our Obsession with Paddleboats


Ryan has been interested (read that obsessed) with the paddleboats of the Mississippi River since he was tiny ... The Mississippi Queen, the American Queen and various others.

Last summer, we got an invitation to have lunch on the LaCrosse Queen paddleboat. It was a fun trip and one that Ryan won't soon forget. We had to stay on the bottom deck however. Ryan managed to literally crawl up the stairs to the upper level but then I needed help to get him back down. He couldn't describe how he felt but I wonder if he had vertigo. When you combine height and motion for me, I do. Plus with the auditory things he has going on it wouldn't surprise me if vestibular issues were part of what was going on.

I ran into another mom I knew and she recommended going up top. When I told her why we wouldn't be trying that again she said, "Even A  (her kid) could do that!" This from a parent who has a child with disabilities. I wanted to smack her. Honestly! Ryan was right there!

At any rate, I digress. The lunch was fun and it was a sensory experience as we felt the vibrations of the wheel, the spray of the water and the wind in our face when we went outside. It's not a hotel Queen like the  others but LaCrosse Queen was written on the side so Ryan was a happy boy.


This is a shot of the Julia Belle Swain, another paddleboat on the Mississippi that was similar to the LaCrosse Queen. It's a little bigger I think. You can tell we took the photo from inside the boat as we rode.

Ryan has calmed down regarding the paddleboats, now that he's been on one. It's nice to move on to other fixations. .

Have a great day and boy, I hope the sun comes out soon!
Much love and joy,
Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment