Saturday, June 5, 2010

Follow Your Own Path

Don't you love summer? No commitments to school, the days slow down and move at a sane pace and we have options on the weekends, unlike the winter months when we either shop or go out to dinner!

I used to push for summer school for Ryan when he first started school, mainly to stave off any regression in skills he experienced during the summer. I changed my tune after time and decided summer was a perfect time to NOT have school. I would've been soooo disappointed to have classes in the summer as a kid, why would I do that to a child with disabilities just because he doesn't know there is another option? Honestly!

So we quit summer school, continued with PT for a while (primarily because it was at the pool and he loved it!) but spent our summer months on road trips, going to concerts and just experiencing those wonderful warm events. You know what? Ryan blossomed. So did I. We have such a good time that it's hard to face fall again. When he was in High School he asked to be home schooled. I said yes and we've never looked back. Next year at 21 I will graduate Ryan. He's planning a big party.

All this to say ... don't let other parents, professionals or family members decide what is right for your child. Try on a size that fits! If school works for your kid, go for it. If home school works for him, try that. Do whatever decreases stress and gives you back your joy!

Have a great weekend!
Much love and joy,
Remember, I'm praying for you,


Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment