Sunday, June 27, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are



When we went to Rice Lake the other day we stopped by the Bear Paw outfitters. Ryan wanted to look for fishing gear. They had a ton of stuffed wildlife including some African animals. I always feel a little sad when I look at them. They're so regal to suffer the indignity of adorning someones wall.

So the next day I took Ryan to see some live tigers at the zoo.


And I think I might have feel even sorrier for these animals. The picture doesn't show the sheer size of this cat. It was enormous with huge paws. Because it is native to Africa I have a different view of it than I did of the bobcat or the bear.




These are bobcats, and we have them in nearly every county in Wisconsin north of I-90. Yikes! The fact that they were caged just mean two less to be out in the wild near me. I feel the same way about bears.

When I lived in the country we had bears sleep across the road in the wild plum bushes. The dog and I would freak each morning they'd been there and some nights she wouldn't go out and I knew the bear was out there. When we moved to town I relaxed significantly, but we even get them in town sometimes, wandering around the clinic or somewhere else.

At any rate, we went from the zoo to the botanical garden-like farm market and wandered through their 27 greenhouses, then I felt more like myself. Ryan wanted more flowers for some pots on the patio and for his raised beds. He's really embracing this and even has a pair of cheap WalMart Croc-like shoes that he wears only for gardening. Too cute!

We planted more onion sets last evening but it was so mosquito-y outside we came in. I'll have to fog today if they're bad. I refuse to be driven indoors by them. We bought some of those OFF! clip on repellents. We haven't used them yet but when we do I'll let you know how they work.

Now I really am going to be late for church if I don't fly.
God bless you and yours,
Much love and joy,

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment