Friday, July 16, 2010

Christmas Shopping in July

Hello everyone,

I'm feeling that weird Friday mixture of wanting to plan a fun and crazy weekend and being too pooped to consider the grocery store. You know the feeling, don't you?

It's supposed to be rainy on and off this weekend so I thought maybe we should have pizza and video night. Always a hit. I purchased the Toy Story 3 Wii game for Ryan for Christmas (yes, I am one of those people) but now I realize we'll have to try it to make sure it works because by Christmas they won't take it back if it doesn't. I don't blame them for that. So, tell me, how do you let him try it, make sure it works then take it back to wrap for Christmas? The answer: You don't. Nuts. Down one present.

I love Christmas shopping all year long. I don't feel pushed, I can wait for sales, I have a lot of selection ... there are too many benefits to name. I save some types of shopping for the season like wrapping paper and bows, stocking stuffers, little thinking of you type gifts but the bulk of mine is done by Halloween or Thanksgiving at the latest. Except for Cyber Monday, that is.

I LOVE Cyber Monday. While all these nuts are out on Black Friday standing in mega lines and fighting for electronics I happily sipping my morning coffee and reading the paper. Come Monday morning I get up early and start my computer. While it's booting up I pad into the kitchen where I make coffee and a bagel. I let out the dog and head back to my office. The dinging starts.

DING Buy! Lands End! 50% off apparel!  DING Amazon has half price Spiderman Wii games for the next hour DING JC Penny has 30% off all pajamas, DING ... e-mails flood into my box, chasing after my business and everyone has free shipping. I slide my feet into my fuzzy slippers and take a sip of my coffee. DING Electronics Mega Sale DING ... By noon, I'm done. All morning I sat in my PJs relaxing and finishing my shopping.

A friend brags about a TV she got at WalMart on Black Friday (after standing in the freezing in the predawn hours) I didn't have the heart to tell her it was $30 less on-line on Monday. Another friend lamented that I'd missed all the good deals that she got at Best Buy on music. I smiled and congratulated her, mine cost the same and are winging their way from Amazon as we speak, but I say nothing.

Cyber Monday rocks. Instead of me working to give away my money, THEY solicit ME. I like it!

So, you don't have to shop in July, but do shop Cyber Monday. Just remember that you're putting things on a credit card. Only spend what you can pay off or it's not a sale item, is it? Or use a debit card.

Have a great day.
Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment