Thursday, July 1, 2010

Grandparents Raising Grandkids

Ryan has a special relationship with his Grandmother. They spend time together every week doing the things they like to do together.

I remember a news special once that went on and on about grandparents helping with childrearing and how it was a new phenomena. My grandmother snorted. "It's always been the role of grandparents to help with childrearing. When we lived on the farm the grandparents raised the kids while the parents worked the farm. That way worked the best."

I thought about what she said and she's so right? When did grandparents start to feel that it was odd to help raise their grandkids? When did childrearing become less of a family affair and more of a "you're on your own" type of deal? Hillary Clinton maintains that it takes a village, at minimum it should at least take a family! Especially when you child has special needs!

I thank God for my parents. My father, Ryan's Boppa, died when Ryan was four years old. He told me that leaving Ryan was one of his great regrets because Ryan needed him so much. My mother, after cleaning out the house and selling it, moved here to be near us and help with Ryan.

On those days when his disabilities are bad they sit and play cards, watch movies and play gentle games. When he has good days they walk in the park, shop and bake together. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have time to do Karen-things. It's like I always maintain, "I never feel like I need a break from Ryan. I just need time to do my own stuff."

I pray that your family helps you with your special someone. If they're not, maybe they just need to be asked by you.

Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment