Thursday, July 22, 2010

Movie Critique - The Sorcerers Apprentice

Good morning!

It's a rainy day here and I'm trying to decide what I should do with Ryan. I'm thinking art and therapeutic scrapbooking. We did a lot of horticultural therapy and occupational therapy yesterday. I'm ready for something less active. I think we might bake too. That's a mom thing, you know? Ryan has been baking since he was tiny with his G'ma but he and I typically do other things. We'll see how ambitious I am. We went to the Drive In theater last night and that's a late night for me.



We saw The Sorcerer's Apprentice with Nicholas Cage. Loved Cage, jury is still out on the movie. I liked the beginning but it was pretty dark at the end for Disney. Got into pentagrams and weird crap like that. I would not recommend for children at all. Ryan and I talked about it afterwards and he felt the same way, just a little too dark. We're looking forward to Despicable Me starting next week, though. That looks cute.

One of the reasons Ryan and I wait to buy on DVD and don't go to a lot of movies is that dark factor. PG-13 is not necessarily a good rating for us. We've gone to R movies that have been less icky than some PGs. (Icky is a movie critic term you know!) Typically, I screen movies and have all of Ryan's life but now I try to figure it out and we just go.

You can't trust Disney anymore either which is sad. Who's running the store down there, fellas? Get it together and hang out with some kids. Why did Hannah Montana do so well? Or Clarissa Explains it All? Because they were cute. The world is scary enough for these kids, they want fun shows they can escape into, like we did with Bewitched or The Brady Bunch. Carry that over into movies. Try new techniques like the Pixar movies. We all loved that, didn't we?

Also, stop with the strobe-like action. You're going to cause brain damage, or at minimum raging headaches. Choppy, fast movie sequences do not create suspense, they create choppy, hard to follow movie scenes. Get a grip. Tell a good story! Kids are so smart and saavy these days. You don't have to shock and titillate ... just tell a good story! \

At any rate, I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars, stars  are awarded to Nicholas Cage, the kids in it (the kid who played the apprentice, his girlfriend and the kid arch enemy with blonde spiky hair) and the start of the movie which had a good plot. Cinematography gets a thumbs down from us as does the entire end of the script.

Have a great day and we'll see you tomorrow.
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment