Saturday, July 17, 2010

I'm fed up with the Weather Channel...


Okay, as a fan of all sorts of weather I'm going on a rant here, so stand back, you might get dirty.

I just got done watching the weather channel where the announcer, a young woman with a high pitched voice ACTUALLY jumped up and down while she described possible tornadoes in the upper Midwest today. Apparently this idiot has never seen what a tornado can do PERSONALLY. Yes, they are wild, untamed, even magnificent storms but .... there are deadly consequences and she just "ain't gettin' it."

I don't think she understands the sick feeling people get when the sky turns green or how they feel when running to a basement or bathroom and hoping that loved ones are safe. Tornadoes and storms are spectacular enough without being sensationalized by them. I plan on writing to ask what their function is. The last umpteen times we've had weather issues and needed radar and warning information they forecast it in a tiny box at the bottom of their screen while playing Storm Stories or some other past storm. Are they in the business or warning or ratings? Make up your minds people!

I remember how worked up my grandmother used to get. She lived in northern Iowa (tornado alley) in a retirement home with no basement. Finally we told her, "Grandma, quit watching the Weather Channel. Just watch the local crawls." She did and she calmed down. She told her neighbors, they told their children and so on. 

I'm not just whining to you, dear readers, I'm contacting the Weather Channel. I've had enough. I'm boycotting the station as of today. I switched on our local news the other day when the weather was wild and the weather gal, Leeann was calm and reassuring. She talked safety precautions and the like in simple, unaffected language. She DID NOT yell, screech, hyperventilate (maybe she breathed a little fast and swallowed a few times, it was overwhelming weather) or jump up and down.

The gal today, on the Weather Channel went on and on about the TOR:CON index that some yahoo at the Weather Channel made up to try to "make book" on the likelihood of tornado development. Personally, I think he wanted to leave his footprint Fujita-style and the TV execs liked the idea of the index coming from their station exclusively. When it comes to weather and warnings NOTHING should EVER be exclusive.

I've advised my son with special needs to watch locally or turn on the NOAA weather radio. For radar we use our computers and the local stations. We don't watch the Weather Channel anymore. They can go fly a kite, preferably in a lightening storm. Of course, then they could lay exclusivity claims on electricity. Honestly!

Well, I'm done with my rant. Off to the Weather Channel to complain.
Hasta la vista baby!
Much love and joy ... and safety today.
Karen

1 comment:

  1. We unfortunately also get the "Ad" Channel oops I mean the Weatherchannel. The "local on the 8's" normally shows the temperature in Chicago, San Diego, etc. Which is plumb wonderful if you live there. I live in NE Arkansas, and I would like to see the temp. plus the radar when storms are approaching. Yesterday I checked the Weatherchannel and got the temp in Chicago, etc. Had to go to the local channel to see their radar, and local warnings. It is worthless as teats on a boar shoat. Ranting a bit too.

    ReplyDelete