Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to Homeschool


Fall is only a few weeks away and I'm feeling a little blue. I love summer, even hot, sticky ones. Don't get me wrong, I love autumn too, I just lament the passing of time so quickly. It goes so very fast.

School is starting and Ryan graduates this year at age 21. I have to get going on curriculum and plans for the year yet. We don't start until mid to late September so I have some time yet. I love homeschooling and maybe that's one of the reasons I feel regret. This is our last year of it. Although I'll be teaching Ryan his entire life (and reteaching), there is still something about your child really reaching adulthood that makes you a little sad.

Ryan was in the public school from age 3 through Middle School. See my column, Life on the Exceptional Side, this month in Family Times for 10 Tips for Back to School for children with special needs. It's available now in stores.


When High School came the school district just couldn't meet his needs. Even with an IEP, he was losing ground so I decided to homeschool. It meant giving up a number of things on both our parts but we both consider it a spectacular success. Ryan has gained so much confidence and has so many more community relationships than he would have had he stayed in a traditional school.

Homeschooling isn't for everyone. I knew a woman who, when her daughter was having trouble with teasing in school, decided to homeschool her. The girl was in middle school and did not have disabilities but her mother thought it would be a snap to teach her at home. I asked which curriculum she'd decided on when she told me about it. What curriculum? She'd just wing it, she said. Two weeks later they'd gone to a play in the name of homeschool and discussed it. Needless to say, the little girl ended up back in traditional school.

One of the criteria for homeschooling is commitment. You commit to it and NEVER threaten with traditional school if your child wasn't happy there. You commit to teaching and prepare yourself with curriculum (even if you write it yourself) as well as planned field trips, volunteer activities and various other "classes."

I wrote goals for Ryan. Albeit some didn't have "measurable" outcomes like the school-required IEP but that was actually one of the strengths of teaching at home. I could have confidence building as a goal and measure it by how Ryan responded to situations on a "I think he improved: type of scale. It took a lot of pressure off of him, especially when some of his goals were so amorphous.

IRIS was a big help in getting Ryan integrated into the community. Once he turned 18 we could plug him into all sorts of activities that we couldn't when there wasn't funding.

At any rate, as you begin the school year know that you have options. It's important to always think of your child and his or her needs but also, think about what you're able to provide. If you can't teach then don't homeschool. There are other ways you can help with your child's education.

Have a great school year and see you tomorrow,
Much love and joy,

Karen 

No comments:

Post a Comment