Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WIth all the rain I feel like a duck!

Good morning everyone,

Ryan went fishing yesterday with UCP Teen Group. No one caught any fish but he had fun anyway. He was exhausted at dinner though. The heat takes it out of him and he was almost too tired to eat. He has a massage today and that will help get him back on track. Fatigue is such an issue for him. One of the perks of being profoundly hard of hearing is that he'll sleep through most storms. It's both good and bad of course. Good when one of us is around to wake him if need be, bad that he wouldn' hear a warning.

I'm torn on a bed shake alert for him. When we hooked up his Internet we got him basic cable (up to channel 22) so he'd have weather warnings on the local news. It's his right to know. When I'm around, unless it's really bad outside and I envision a trip to the basement, I let him sleep.

How do you prepare for storms with your loved one who has disabilities? What about people who use wheelchairs? How do you get to the basement? Ryan has such an unsteady gait that I'm going to put a stair lift chair in. I have to figure out who does that but I'm determined that he get into the basement safely. He's too big for me to carry or even help down easily so the chair becomes more necessary each year.

I'm tired of the rain. I want sun and 80 degrees. Selfish I know. We're so blessed! I look at the middle of the country with temps in the 100s and indices near 115 and I thank God that we're this far north and have 70 degree nights. At least we can be outside!

If you're bailing out from the rains last night I send up a prayer that clean up goes well for you. Remember to check the roads if you're driving. Many washed out last night. As I told my cousin when she drove through water over the road, "It's not JUST that the power of the water could move you, but there may not even be a ROAD under there, the water could've washed it away already ..." Hopefully, it's food for thought.

Have a dry day,
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment