Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Homeschool Curriculum

Good morning,

It feels like fall lately, probably because it is, right? While I'm sad to see summer go, I LOVE the change of seasons. My neighbor has an early maple and it's starting to change.

We could have stayed in bed this morning! Rainy, diffuse light ... zzzzzzzzzzz. snort. I'm awake!

We're changing up the schedule for fall and that's always a challenge. The transition really throws Ryan off but he seems to be doing a little better than I thought he would this year. Still in the honeymoon phase?

Homeschool starts on September 1 or so and we've got some amazing projects planned. I'm not totally done with the curriculum which is just stupid on my part. HOWEVER, I can change the school start date until the 10th if I want to ... therein lies the strength of homeschooling ... flexibility.

We do any homework during school hours but teachable moments crop up 24/7 and we certainly take advantage of them. Our big focus this year is on health. Physical, spiritual and mental.
  • eating correctly,
  • shopping for groceries,
  •  registering with various agencies,
  • exercise, joining a gym maybe, getting bikes ready
  • dressing
  • shaving
  • massage therapy
  • haircuts ... and more
Our spiritual focus is on
  • Bible study
  • attending church
  • volunteering
  • meditation
  • positive influences
  • and more...
Our mental focus entails
  • understanding disability and my meds
  • independence
  • depression and treatments
  • anxiety and treatments
  • agencies and professionals who can help
  • how to ask for help ... and more
Our other big classes are Nature Photography, Horticultural therapy, Money, Safety 101 and too much else to list here. It's so important that Ryan learn about himself and his immediate world. In order to do that he needs one on one attention and intense teaching through ASL, music therapy and repetition until tasks hit his long term memory.

That doesn't mean he won't forget it. He'll forget some things, but that doesn't mean I quit teaching him. Yes, on some topics he'll hit the wall, but on others, he'll excel.

Have a great school year and remember, I'm praying for you.
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment