Monday, August 23, 2010

Finding a Job

Happy Snake Day,

No, it's not a holiday, merely a happy day that bears marking for my son. Ryan loves snakes, always has and he works with snakes in one of his jobs. Cleans tanks, handles them etc. Who knows? Later the skills may transfer to pet stores, right?

We're in no hurry. He's only twenty, and is about six in cognitive years. That means he's still learning a lot through play and experience. He'll work he whole life but for now, I want him to find his bliss.

I hate the "standard" questions. I buck when people ask "Is he working?" Well, yeah, but not in a typical school-assigned job. He's working as a mascot, as a snake tank cleaner, and various other small jobs that all add up to a fulfilled life. He's busy in choir, best buddies, church, and UCP teen group, but he's not interested in Special Olympics. Not every kid is a sports nut, why should every special needs kid have to be, right?

We're working on being creative with work and leisure. Ryan has a number of hobbies that I'm trying to dovetail with his work. Isn't that what we all want.

I guess what I'm saying is don't fall into the trap of letting the school always pick your child's vocation. It's great to get help if you need it but also get a job your child wants. Take your time and be creative.

Until tomorrow,
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment