Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Typical Day

And I thought my house was small! This little gem was at a museum we visited. I'm sure the shingles are new but the house itself was old-shored-up. That's kind of how I felt after my hip surgery! Old-shored-up! My aunt Elaine is fond of saying that we have to get older, we just don't have to get old. I'm still pondering that.

How are you this fine, cloudy day? It looks like rain again and I'm hoping that the sun will peek out soon. Ryan has his massage today. He's due too. It makes such a HUGE difference with his muscles, his sleep and his general well being that we've scheduled a weekly massage with his therapist. Well worth it, I'd say. He's just so much more comfortable all week long. Check out Sans Souci massage and tell them I sent you.

Things are better today. Ryan's "person" got on board. I have nothing against young kids but they sometimes just don't understand the pragmatics of life yet. They try hard but there is a general lack of understanding on how the world works. The wisdom just isn't developed yet. They haven't lived enough. They haven't built houses, worked in full time jobs for years on end. They haven't dealt with major medical in any real sense of the word or even benefits packages. It's hard for them to grasp the realities of raising a person with disabilities. They think do-it-yourself and that's not a reality for people with disabilities. At any rate, things are sorted out and I'm on to the next project.

Ryan looked exhausted yesterday. That happens with his Cerebral Palsy. He just gets to a point where his resistance is down and he needs a day of complete rest. It happens less often than when he was in regular school. It's one of the benefits of homeschooling. I can catch that and call the day a rest day. It's prevented him from crashing with major illnesses in some cases.

We're getting ready for the school year. We don't start until mid September. Which is a laugh. The paperwork claims that you must teach over 700+ hours each year. Try 24/7. When you homeschool you grab those teachable moments. At any rates, we always start with Ryan's bird hobby in the fall with migration so we'd better get out the notebook. His two banded birds at the game reserve must not have returned to the same nesting spot last spring because he didn't get a call.

I'd better get out of my cyber life and get back to my actual one. Take care and see you tomorrow.
Much love and joy,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment