Thursday, August 26, 2010

Reading to your child with special needs

Good morning everyone,

Another gorgeous day and I can't believe I have to work! See ... even when you work for yourself you have to work on the nice days. I'm tempted to blow it all off and work on the weekend when it's sticky and icky but .... the childcare is arranged, the work is calling my name ... I'm stuck.

We read books to Ryan. As he gets older he likes to hear more involved stories. Grandma's voice is deeper and he can hear her better so she does most of the reading. Lately, because of Mickey's Scrooge story, Ryan has expressed an interest in Charles Dickens.

We thought he'd hear a little and be depressed by it, I know both of us were, but he likes him. Go figure. So my mother, God bless her heart, is reading Oliver Twist, Great Expectations and various other Dickens classics to him now. I get to read the fun children's books. Who knows? Maybe because Oliver is experiencing circumstances more dire than Ryan's disability he feels lucky and good about his life. I'll never know what appeals because Ryan isn't capable of articulating that.

If you are interested in reading classics to your child with special needs, like we do, you can find children's versions at Michael's. They have little hardcovers of Swiss Family Robinson and tons of other classics for only a couple of dollars each. The stories are awesome.

When we read something like that to Ryan, there is a trick involved. We have to translate into easy English the entire time we're reading. It's a little irregular to be reading something and have your brain translating the more complicated words ahead while your mouth reads a few words before it. I know, it sounds hairy, but once you try it you'll see what I mean.

 Dr. Seuss, which has wonderful lessons, is another one we read. The Lorch saves trees, Star belly sneetches teach the frivolity of  keeping up with the Jones or any kind of division be it religious, cultural or skin tone. There are so many AMAZING books out there. Reading opens up an entire world for our children. Even if they struggle to read or can't read at all, we can. It's our duty to read to them, daily if possible.

Let me know if you read any good books to your loved one!

Just a reminder, I'm still taking names for the drawing on Friday. The autism tape will be given away at the end of tomorrow. Contact me at Karen's GiveAway with your name and email so I can contact you in the event that I draw your name.

Keep watching ... my book Children of Light will be out this fall and I'll hold some giveaways with that one too.
God bless,
Much love and joy,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment